Author
Search for:
Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 08:38pm - Jul 21,07 
Based on my previous week's good fortune in finding skamania in the creeks, I invited my dad and his friend up from out of town to try and get in on the action. Thursday morning, I got out early before they arrived to scout. In holes that seven days prior I could see a dozen fish, now were empty. They arrived and we gave it a crack with nothing.

So, I figured the only place they went was farther upstream. We got in the car and went a few miles up, sure enough, found them! I got a 10-12 pounder on a vibrex #3 spinner (thanks skamslam) and the next morning, my dad went 3 for 3 on 6-7 pounders! All three caught on cooked shrimp. I was getting a little nervous since neither he or his friend had any luck yet.

The bend in the rod says it all!

I did see a couple guys making great efforts to revive fish they wanted to release, but later found them laying sideways in the water. Like Razzo said, the water is just too warm for them to survive after the fight. I was happy to see some old timer string one of the ones i saw floating around, though he claimed he "caught" it (I recognized the spots on it since I myself grabbed it and tried to revive it after the original angler gave up).

Anyway, it was a good day out and they thoroughly enjoyed themselves!

Salmon Unlimited Member
Salmon Unlimited Member

Post Posted: 11:13pm - Jul 21,07 
I plan on hitting that exact spot in the morning. Thanks for the heads up.

Tom

Twin Fins

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:31am - Jul 22,07 
Nice post and pics! I hope you have more good luck this week!

SS

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 10:48am - Jul 22,07 
Tom wrote:
I plan on hitting that exact spot in the morning.

That spots looks familiar :wink:

Nice action shots Jim.

CYL,
Russ

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 12:53pm - Jul 24,07 
boy i wonder where he was??? :roll: i was there as well and did succesfully release 12 fish out of there. the water temp there was only 65. if you want to release the fish run slightly heavier line like 10# pin them quick and never touch the fish at all. just take a plier to the hook while it is thrashing on shore and pop it out right away, the fish will be fine. once you remove the fish from the water for a single second that is one second that destroys the breathing pattern that was enabling them to metabolize the lactic acid at slower but still reasonable speed. the problem is everyone wants a picture or has the need to take the fish out of the water to remove the hook. well (hurlburt) i'm sure you remember seeing me out there. next time i'll be sure to say hi. :wink:

Chitown-Angler

Post Posted: 07:45pm - Aug 11,07 
steel-

that actually makes a load of sense, taking the fish out of the water and it's odds of survival. i guess if you made me do a 300 yard sprint for my life and then stuck my head in a bucket of water after i'm panting like mad, i wouldn't do so well either.

Board index » Rivers » Creeks, Streams, Ditches
Jump to: